Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Monday, March 07, 2005

#1 A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth


So, I should have known that this book was a horrible way to begin. First of all, it's a bazillion pages. Second of all, it has almost as many characters, all connected somehow, all with foreign names. Like an Indian Anna Karenina, except, I liked Anna Karenina. I had a really hard time keeping track of everyone and the family trees didn't include the peripheral characters. *sigh* It took two long months for me to finish it and by the end, it was more about conquering the book than the story, which is a pity really. Maybe I don't get it because I'm not British or Indian? Or know that much about India? Anyone who felt differently about it, please enlighten me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home