Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Monday, May 22, 2006

2.19 Trans-Sister Radio by Chris Bohjalian

I really enjoyed this novel. The narration follows a family of divorce. The matriarch falls for her film studies professor, Dana, only to find that he will soon begin the process gender reassignment. It throws into question how she feels about her sexuality, what people in their small community think about gender and how her ex-husband and daughter react to the situation as well. It reminded a good deal of Middlesex, obviously, but in reverse.

Unlike Middlesex though, the author included a good deal about how Dana feels about the whole and why s/he decided to surgically change his/her outward appearance. I appreciated the insight into why someone would make that choice and the obvious research that Bohjalian did about the transgender community.

I have come to the conclusion that Bohjalian is a fine author. His other novel that I've read, Midwives, is also brilliant. To be a bit gendered myself, I'm surprised that a man would have such a good vision into the lives of women and write so well about it. Someone argue with me. Are there any other male authors that you know of that write well about women and/or relationships? Please don't say Hemingway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home