Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Monday, May 16, 2005

#12 Middlesex by Jefferey Eugenides


I have no idea what I want to say about this book. Yes, it was well-written. I liked the history of the family in Turkey. The gory bits were too much for me though. Eugenides left me with a lot of questions and the narrators abrupt change from one gender to the other didn't answer them. I also thought that it made what seems to be a pretty difficult process seem easier than it actually is, or so I hear. *SPOILER ALERT* You need to highlight the text below to see what I wrote, I didn't want to ruin it for anyone. The reason that Callie was genetically XY so that is what s/he immediately identified as seemed a bit flimsy, especially since there was no earlier sign that Callie thought that she wasn't a girl, besides her concerns over puberty. What about what Cal/lie felt was right? How s/he really identified? I want to know more about that thought process and about the love interest in the end. * SPOILER END* Maybe that is the proof of a good book though, leaving the reader wanting more. Its an interesting read, no doubt. Book #13 is coming along nicely. Update soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home