Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Friday, April 08, 2005

#8 Bee Season by Myla Goldberg


I picked this up at a used book store on my glorious day off. So, um, this was a book about, um, stuff and then things happened and the end. Or rather this is a book about a family whose members are very alienated from each other and a lot of f-ed up stuff happens and then the author doesn't quite know how to end it and it turns into an orgiastic, mystical thing and who cares what happens to the very important main character in the mental hospital and TA-DA, the end. You can see how very strongly I felt about the book.

I really dislike it when I feel like the author wants to end the story doesn't know how to and comes up with all this crazy stuff just to finish the damn novel all ready. I can totally tell and I'm sure other people can to. I understand that writing a novel is an enormous task (just ask this guy) but if you don't know how to finish it, please just wait. Don't rush to a conclusion because it won't make sense with your characters and will turn something that was really interesting into a pile of mush, in my humble opinion. Anyone out there who has had similar experiences with other novels? Warn me please.

P.S. This post contains one of the most fantastical run-on sentences I think I will ever have the joy to compose. First person who guesses correctly wins a prize!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is it the third sentence in the first paragraph? As far as run-ons go, it is pretty fantastical. But you should read some of the things my students write! What's my prize?

    Carl

     

Post a Comment

<< Home