Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

2.6 How to Read a French Fry and Other Stories of Intriguing Kitchen Science by Russ Parsons


I just wrote the most brilliant post in the history of blogging and then stupid LaunchCast crashed my 'puter. Y'all missed out.

This is kind of a cheat but I didn't mean for it to be. About half of it was recipes, which I figured if I read in their entirety, would be less of a bamboozle. Hey, you try not eating beef for 12 years and then having to read, in detail, how the muscle ages, breaks down and reacts to heat. Blech.

Things I learned reading this:

  • If your french fries are brown and limpy, it is because the oil they were fried in was too old.
  • If your french fries are white and not golden at all, it is because the oil they were fried in wasn't old enough.
  • Just thinking about 4 quarts of frying oil makes my heart want to stop working.
  • A sauce that has 3 kinds of meat in it has two too many.
  • For some reason, people are terrified of making their own pie crust.
  • I love lentils so much that even recipes that include multiple kinds of pork product sound tasty.
  • I have a ridiculously short attention span.

This is clearly not the brilliant post it started out as. Bullets = laziness. Meredith = frustrated that her post got eaten.

This will probably be the last you hear from me for a while. The Great 2006 Move is next week and I'm all ready turning into a stress ball. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The first thing I thought when I saw this was "damn, Russ has finally written a book!" I have a friend called Russ Parton, you see. But then I looked closer and saw the author's name was actually Russ PARSONS.

    The second thing I thought was "Good god, I am NEVER eating again. Or maybe I will only eat carrots that I can grow myself. And maybe some nuts, because they seem pretty safe."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home