Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

2.2 A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Another Pulitzer Prize loser. Yes, I know the author committed suicide and his mom published this posthumously and it's sad. However that does not excuse the fact that this novel has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I mean it. This is supposed to be a satire of... um... er... honestly, I don't know of what. Can someone else out there can enlighten me because I feel like I'm missing something (maybe?).

My theory is that before books are published, they go through multiple editing processes. Back and forth between the author(s) and editor(s) until they hit upon the exact right word for every word. This was most likely not the case here, unless someone was doing it on Toole's end. Perhaps that explains the mind-numbing yet absolutely ****ing craziness of the whole thing.

Dunces was favorably compared to Candide which I also hold in high distaste, maybe unfunny satire just isn't my thing? What is funny though, is that I picked this up as a distraction to finishing Beauty Myth and now I almost wished I hadn't. The Pulitzer Prize and I are officially no longer friends. Except I do really want to read this book.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger ~A4O~ said…

    I like your post and I'm gonna be the next winner...

    When you get a chance you should visit my blog at www.fabelstales.blogspot.com

    I have over 32 poems, some in audio, awesome illustrations and pictures to help capture your eye. Don't be affraid to scroll down near the bottom of the page. You'll find your horoscope and a "Today in History" for your viewing pleasure. You'll also find some of my favorite pieces of work, like the poem "Words" and "No Evil."

    I hope you enjoy and please come back soon. Thanks and have a good one, Mike. A.K.A-The Scribe-

     

Post a Comment

<< Home