Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

#46 The Final Solution by Michael Chabon


I finally took Adam's excellent advice and picked this up. It's a quick read (yay!) and good too. I generally like Chabon and this is no exception.

It's not what I thought it would be, which is why I resisted. I assumed that it would a light-hearted romp through the Holocaust, (which, um, yay?) but it's not. Final is "a story of detection", about a boy, his parrot, and WWII. In typical Chabon fashion, it's written so well, you don't really notice it until a particular bit of prose catches your eye and then you want to read it over and over again. But then you would get caught up in the beauty of excellent writing and never finish 4 more books and then where would you be? Missing a charm on your bracelet, that's where. No dilly-dallying around!

Furthermore, it has a kind of crazy ending, so I want to read it again, definitely next year, so I can sort out the mystery and find out if the case was really solved or if Chabon tied up some non-existent ends into strange conspiracy knots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home