Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Monday, December 12, 2005

#45 The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst


Frankly, I've been disappointed with my recent award-winning choices. This covers England from 1984 to 1987, Thatcher's first term as prime minister. If I knew more about British politics, I might find fascinating, as it stands not so much.

I didn't get too invested into Nick's, the narrator, story until pretty close to the end, when everything blows up. Until then, things move really slowly and it's a little tiring. I kept on waiting for the plot to pick up but I felt like nothing really happened until the last fifty pages, which is a long 350 page wait.

It is written beautifully. But an odd fascination with tiny details and fast-forwarding through events makes it seem like a VCR on crack (passe eighties technology and drug, all the cool kids are waching their DVDs while on heroin, gosh).

Oh Booker prize folks, I had such high hopes. Maybe my plan to read every prize winning book should be phased out.

So, 45 down, five to go. Do you think it's do-able? Do you think I'm a nut job? I've got 19 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home