Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

#27 Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh


I got suckered big time into ________'s (fill in the blank of a major bookseller here) big 4 books for 3 summer deal. I meant to save them for my road trip but instead I buzzed thorugh almost all of them before we even hit the road. Oops.

This is more like a series of novellas than a cohesive novel. It focuses on the stories of three women who unknowingly, all marry the same man (at different times at least.) While learning about the women, one gets small glimpses of the man that all three married, but never a whole picture, which I thought was really interesting. I really liked the concept and it was pulled off pretty well. I just don't know how I feel about the book as a whole though. I enjoyed how Mr. Kimble was never the focus of the novel and how the women were the primary subject matter. I also really liked the different time periods the book spans and how the mores and customs of each one affected the Kimbles. Like the young woman marrying the man who impregnated her, the woman who shocks her family by moving in with her boyfriend, and the woman who tries to break her way through the glass ceiling. So if anyone wants to borrow my copy, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home