Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

#20 Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer


I ran across this book at the library when I was in search mode. I was vaguely familar with it, in the vaguest most possible sense so I had no idea what it was about. The only think I did know was that the author won some awards (and Adam told me he is also disgustingly young).

This book is brillant, no really. All of you should go out and read it right now, unless you all ready have and were holding out on me. The main character is a boy whose dad died in the World Trade Center attacks. The book focuses on him but also on his grandfather who never met his dead son and the grandfather's relationship with his wife. Very good stuff. I am the type of person who reads on while walking and this is not a book I should read in public because I got really teary eyed on my way to work. Yes, I am also a big cry baby. I was wondering (and worrying) how it could all possibly end and surprisingly, the ending didn't suck! Yay for really good books with good endings! Yay for authors who know what they're doing! Now I really want to read Everything is Illuminated too.

I don't want to give anything away so I'll stop, but so far, this is by far my favorite book that I've read this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home