Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Monday, April 03, 2006

2.9 A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

I really love The Hours. I made sure to read the book before I saw the movie and both are brilliant. I think that it is one of the few examples when the movie is as good or almost as good the book. Home is not as good as Hours, not even close. It was also made into a movie, which I was vaguely interested in, but after reading the book, I don't think I am anymore.

I thought that I knew what the story was about, but apparently, that was just the last 100 pages or so. The novel follows two boys who grow up together in Ohio. One moves to NYC and other follows a few years later. Stuff happens. One of the characters makes himself emotionally unavailable and the other is "simple". I felt like the book shared both of these characteristics. Not nearly as good as I thought it might be and the part that I thought would be the most interesting was the shortest, and not really that interesting after all. Sort of like this review. Eh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home