Meredith's Challenge 2.0

52 books, one year. Stay tuned for more details.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

#33 Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer


Did I tell you how much I loved Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? So much love. So much that I hope to find a copy of it at the Planned Parenthood book sale this weekend so I can keep it with me always. So much that I decided I need to read everything Safran Foer has ever written . . . . which would be these two books.

I was sort of disappointed with this until I got to the last twenty pages, which oh my goodness, totally brilliant and heart wrenching and, and, and... everything. Ah, this is Foer that I barely know and love. Normally I love split narratives but I just didn't have the patience for Alex's crazy Ukrainian English with the unauthorized use of his thesaurus, but now that I think about it, it's a pretty premium conceit (those who have read this, know what I'm talking 'bout.) Also fooling around with time and multiple narrators, hurray! My shorted-out brain was really irritated in the beginning with Alex but later on, I grew to appreciate his remarking.

So they turned this into a movie starring Frodo, as I referred to him to the boy the other night because I honestly could not remember his name. I don't see how this could possibly be turned into a film, probably with stupid voice overs which blech. It's written in letters [if my head was working I could tell you the big fancy lit student word for it (episte... Adam? Help?)] like Jane Austen did (go brain go!) and I think that would make a kinda crappy movie. If anyone out there has seen it let know what you thought, kay? And if you got to the end of highly disjointed post, congratulations! You are a truly premium person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home